Game Production · Helsinki
Who are we looking for?
Metacore is a passion-first game company, looking for a self-driven Game Programmer. Our journey has just begun, so you will have a great opportunity – and a great responsibility – in shaping how we go about programming our games.
In addition to hands-on development with #C and Unity, which is your core competence, you will contribute to our game development from start to finish. That’s part of the full autonomy our small game teams enjoy: to decide what to develop, how to work and when to ship. This kind of freedom only suits self-driven programmers with relentless attitude and best-of-class development skills – the ones like you.
That being said, we naturally hope you already have the technical skills, experience and ambition to program better games than anyone. But even more than that, we hope you share our passion for serving the desires of our players. In the end, that’s what Metacore is all about.
How do we work?
At Metacore, independence and responsibility go hand in hand. Our small, autonomous teams have full decision-making power over their games and full ownership of their – mostly excellent – results. But topping charts ain’t always smooth.
That’s why we dare to stumble. Failures keep us humble, teach important lessons and get us closer to success. We crave for constructive feedback. It’s the highest form of caring for each other, and for the games we build.
We also like hearing the feedback from our players. We’re great at assuming what could work but only players can prove our hypotheses to hold true. Falling in love with our own ideas is fine as long as players love them too.
As said, you have the freedom to shape how we go about programming our games. To provide direction, here’s your new role in five bullets:
- You’ll be involved in all areas of our game development, including graphic programming, game logic, and UI
- You support and contribute to game design with fresh ideas
- You write logically clear, high-quality and robust code
- You’ll wrench out simple solutions to complex problems
- You’ll work as part of a team, but are comfortable in facing a project head on by yourself from time to time
We’re expecting you to be an excellent programmer of course, but what does that actually mean?
- You know a great deal about various game technology areas (gameplay, graphics, tools etc.), and get that there’s always more to learn
- You've gained a strong, professional background using Unity through previous projects
- You now C# like the back of your hand
- You’re quick to digest existing code, and feel comfortable using it
- You’ve got some previous experience working with a live product
- Your English is excellent, and you comfortably express yourself in it in meetings and on paper
Metacore is formed by small game teams, each deciding which games to build, when to ship them, and when to pivot or kill them. As a company, we’re relatively small too. We’re going at 50 employees, and still growing fast.
Working as Metacore
Metacore is the game company where players are the closest thing to a boss. That gives a lot of independence and responsibility to our game teams and individuals. Together, we work as Metacore – not for or at Metacore.